More pages of other stuff

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Saturday's disjointed ramblings

Getting my hair cut today, the hair stylist asked me what my favorite sport was. My answer was pretty simple: "All of them."

OK, I stretched the truth and I'm not sure why.

As a longtime sportswriter, I have always said, "My favorite depends on the sports season." Otherwise, in the fall, it is football. In the winter, it's basketball and in the summer, it's baseball."

I think I'm going to amend that a bit.

I admit it, it's football. Of course, it is just about football season -- high school, college and professional. I could change my mind in a few months when the basketball hits the hardwood again.

But let's face it. Maybe I should base my love of sports entirely on my t-shirt collection. If that's the case, then it is football hands down. It also didn't hurt that the Packers are the defending Super Bowl champions.

Yeah, in your face Vikings' and Bears' fans.

I'd say I have a fair share of Packers t-shirts now. I can thank my wife, who although held hostage in a hospital bed, can still order my wardrobe via telephone, and of course, I can't pass up a good looking Packers' t-shirt when I walk by one.

The nurses and physical therapists at Teresa's hospital have hardly seen me in anything else but a Packers' t-shirt. Of course, the first words out of their mouths are, "Packers fan, huh?" I feel like the old Mad Magazine bit, "Stupid Answers For Stupid Questions." I really want to say," No, I hate the team. Just like the t-shirts."

I don't say that, though. It's more like, "Uh, yeah."

Of course, as I write this, I am wearing a Rockies t-shirt. It must be about time for laundry.

---
As you can (or can't) see, I've put a couple of gadgets on this blog for monetary reasons. One is to help defray medical expenses for Teresa's illness. Without getting into actual numbers, that aspect of things has been pretty devastating as well. Another is to see if I could get some actual advertising as I go to bed at night dreaming of doing this for a living again. Of course, I can't make a living off of a couple of small ads, but every little bit helps.
---
In another week, the Wyoming Cowboys will hit the practice fields again. Where has the summer gone? It will be interesting to see the new-look Cowboys as they prepare for the new-look Mountain West this season that includes Boise State and not Utah and BYU.

More on Wyoming football upcoming.

---
I think I need a swear jar when talking about the Mountain West. I can't help but still call it the Mountain West Conference. Every time I do so, I need to put a dollar in the jar. At least I will know where all of my money goes, as the funds should build up. Heck, sometimes I still let it slip by calling the MWC the WAC.

Maybe I just need to be slapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment