More pages of other stuff

Friday, May 6, 2011

Thinking about the Boys of Summer

I guess I need to thank David Settle for remanding me how old I am as he mentioned on his noon sports broadcast on KOWB radio on Friday that it had been 25 years since the Laramie Rangers had last won an American Legion baseball title.

Of course, the young pup Settle is, he wasn't around here when that happened.

I was ... kind of.

Actually, I was in my final days as sports editor of the Northern Wyoming Daily News in Worland and the Rangers had won the state tournament, which was being played in Worland. I was helping out Bob Hammond and the Laramie Boomerang with box scores of the tournament at the time and covering the event for the Worland paper.

Back then, the Worland Indians had a pretty decent Legion program and competed with the likes of Laramie, Casper and Cheyenne.

Under the guidance of manager Dennis Diehl and assistant coach Jon Johnson, the Rangers won the 1986 championship. Despite a pretty consistent program since then, Laramie has yet to enjoy that championship feeling, although it finished second a couple of times in the mid 1990s under then manager Monty Schuman, losing both times to Casper. Laramie finished second again a few years ago, losing to Cheyenne.

After the tournament, Hammond offered me a chance to come to Laramie and work for the Boomerang, something I did for 18 years before my disappointing departure in the fall of 2007.

I remember vividly that first season (1987) covering the Rangers under Diehl and having the bejesus scared out of me in that first game with his his aggressive behavior. Diehl was a good coach and good to work with, but it took a little while to get used to his abrasive style, especially for a young sportswriter.

Throughout the years, covering American Legion baseball was often one of the highlights of my years in the business. To me, there's nothing better than breaking out the scorebook, grabbing a cold beverage in the hot sun (and then moving to shade) and watching baseball; I don't care what level it is.

I haven't done it in a couple of years, so once again there will be something missing for me this summer. Hopefully that fun will return down the road.

The Rangers, under new manager Zac Baker, will open the season this weekend at Douglas. Yet another year of hope and base hits in the gap.

Yes, Mr. Settle reminded me of my advancing years, but he also brought back a lot of fond memories, as it got me thinking about all of those seasons at Cowboy Field.

No comments:

Post a Comment