More pages of other stuff

Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Cowboys never lose when I'm there

I'm not sure what all the fuss was about. The Wyoming men's basketball team hasn't lost a game that I have been at this season.

OK, Saturday was the first game that I watched in person this season.

Considering that I covered in the neighborhood of 500 Cowboys basketball games in the A-A in my previously illustrious or lackluster sportswriting career (depending on who you ask), I'm wondering what took me so long this season?

What did I miss? Evidently, I'm in that new Geico commercial where there's a guy living under a rock.

Actually, I know what I have not been there to witness. Hey, I got the Internet, you know.

If it's on the Internet, then it has to be true.

It's been a long, strange trip to my first Cowboys game this season, and I'm not talking a Jerry Garcia trip. Between working as a news copy editor at the Wyoming Tribune Eagle and traveling back and forth to Denver to be with my wife who has been in various hospitals since October, I just haven't been able to make it.

In fact, I've been to just one Cowgirls game this season as well. Now that I think of it, the Cowgirls haven't lost  a game that I sat courtside at this season. Maybe I should go to more, although the home schedule is down to just a couple of games remaining.

With that said, I probably got a few "didn't you used to be Richard Anderson" glances from formerly fellow media, sports information workers and maybe even a few fans in the stands. Not my fans mind you, but UW basketball fans.

No longer with the luxury of media parking, I had to walk a distance to my car and head over the hill to Cheyenne after the game. Instead of adjourning to the media room for the various interviews with players and coach, I had to settle for the tail-end of the Cowboys broadcast on the radio.

In doing that, I had my lead written, if I were to write.

Granted, the Cowboys' 77-67 win over TCU was nothing to write home about. And remember, Wyoming and TCU were playing to get out of last place, at least for a few days.

Wyoming can now proadly proclaim that it is No. 9 in the Mountain West Conference, which is way better than No. 10.

At the same time, it was nice to see the Cowboys make the plays down the stretch, something I have heard them not do on the radio this season and something I have not read them do in the various media reports.

I also saw a lot of smiles, on and off the court, which is a jolt of adrenalin that doesn't involve Red Bull. Maybe, just maybe, there is some optimism for the Cowboys in the future.

I remind you that TCU is 1-10 in league play, to 2-9 for Wyoming.

We'll see what happens down the stretch. The Cowboys were able to break an eight-game skid which transpired to over a month since their last victory. Now all they have to do is end a 19-game losing streak on the road when they travel to Salt Lake City Wednesday to face the Utah Utes.

What's this I hear that Utah and BYU won't be in the Mountain West Conference next season? That darn rock.

There, I made it through this whole blog without mentioning the Heath Schroyer firing.

 Well, almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment